Maybe you are wondering whether you or your loved one has a marijuana addiction. What are the signs that you are already addicted? In this article, we will talk about the important signs you can look for to determine whether you are addicted to this substance.
If you feel that you have an addiction to this substance, seek medical help as early as today so that you can gradually start your recovery. Continue reading to learn more about the evident signs of marijuana addiction.
What’s the rate of Marijuana Addiction in Society?
Compared to other substances, marijuana is second to alcohol as the most abused drug in society.Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the compound in this plant that produces its addictive properties.
So far, the trend shows that marijuana addiction among adults occurs at a 10% rate. Whereas, if you started using this dried plant at age 18 years and younger, then your risk for marijuana use disorder is around 16%.
What are the Noticeable Signs of Marijuana Addiction?
Abusing this dried plant or any other substances will greatly change your lifestyle for the worse. If you are still unsure if you or any of your family members are abusing this substance, then here are some signs you can observe.
Typically, it takes two or three signs to indicate that you or your loved one is suffering from marijuana use disorder.
- You will have an increase in your appetite due to the presence of THC.
- You will have a slower reaction time, which is the main cause of car accidents for people under the influence of this dried plant.
- Short-term memory loss since THC disrupts your brain’s normal function.
- You will have learning and decision-making difficulties because this substance gradually damages your brain cells.
- You will have secretive behavior and financial problems because of uncontrolled possession of this drug.
- In the long run, you will experience hallucinations and psychosis because the THC and toxins of this substance destroy your brain and cause hormonal imbalances.
- Several failed attempts of stopping from abusing this substance.
- Prioritizing your consumption of this dried plant than your work, school, and family.
- Unhealthy communication with your friends and family.
- You will experience sudden mood swings because of the hormonal changes brought by this substance.
Once you see two to three signs, then you need to consider talking to a doctor or addiction specialist regarding your situation. Seek help as early as today, to avoid the irreparable damages of marijuana addiction.
What are the Long-Term Effects of Marijuana Addiction?
Similar to other drugs abused in society, abusing this substance leads to serious diseases in your heart, lungs, and brain. Alongside this, smoking this dried plant in blunt or rolled cigarettes produces the greatest health risk because you can absorb other harmful toxins produced by smoking.
Furthermore, here are the dangerous long-term effects when you abuse this substance.
- For those abusing this substance since they are teens, then it can dramatically decrease their IQ levels. For instance, a person in New Zealand lost around 8 IQ points because of using this substance since the age of 13 years.
- Continued smoking of marijuana can lead to serious lung problems like bronchitis, cough, and phlegm.
- It can raise your blood pressure which leads to stroke and heart attack.
- There is a gradual manifestation of hallucinations and psychosis due to brain damages and hormonal imbalance.
- You will also have uncontrolled mood shiftings from euphoria to depression.
What’s the Effect(s) of Mixing Marijuana, Alcohol, and Tobacco?
If you mix marijuana with alcohol drinking, then you will suffer from intense loss of body coordination and natural reflexes. With that, we highly discourage you to drive when you’re under the influence of alcohol and weed.
When you mix weed and tobacco, you will be at a higher risk for lung and heart problems because of the toxic residues of smoking. Some of the quick effects you will experience are shortness of breath, high blood pressure, endless coughing, and bronchitis.
Moreover, never use marijuana alongside any prescription drug, especially if your doctor doesn’t since it can lead to serious side effects and allergies.
Is Synthetic Marijuana More Dangerous than its Natural Counterpart?
Synthetic marijuana is also known as K2, Spike, or Spice which is produced by spraying a plant with some chemicals that mimic the content of natural Cannabis Sativa. This artificial weed does not contain any cannabinoid (the medicinal compound found in natural cannabis), yet it works the same way as THC in your brain.
This synthetic marijuana is more dangerous because of its higher effects on your brain and body. To some extent, overdosing with this drug can lead to dangerous side effects like swelling of the brain, palpitations, panic attacks, nausea, and hallucinations.
Is It Dangerous for Pregnant Women to Use Marijuana?
Considering the brain damages THC can inflict on any individual, it is highly discouraged for pregnant women to use marijuana before and after giving birth. Here are some of the foreseen adverse effects of THC consumption for the baby and the mother.
- There is an increased risk of miscarriage when using this substance before pregnancy.
- There is a higher risk for babies to develop ADHD and other brain disorders due to the presence of THC among pregnant women.
- It is discouraged for lactating women to use weed since their milk can contain traces of THC.
- There will be a higher chance of a low birth rate when the mother continues to use this substance.
- The newborn is exposed to a higher risk of undesirable behaviors like high-pitch crying, slower reflexes, slow learning abilities, and seizures.
- There will also be a slower development of the motor coordination skills of the newborn.
Can You Treat Marijuana Addiction?
Abusing this substance is a disorder that can be treated under an intensive treatment plan. To ensure a higher recovery rate, you need to have early detection of this unhealthy behavior, and then talk to a reliable doctor or addiction specialist.
They will give you a specific treatment plan that fits your condition and budget. Ask help from your nearby rehab treatment center today.